With its expansive beaches and over 70 miles of coastline, as well as dramatic panoramic views and quaint neighborhoods, San Diego is a lover’s paradise. Whether you are a couple searching for adventure or prefer quiet corners to share your affection, San Diego has you covered. Here are a few of my favorite spots…
1. A kiss for luck: it’s rumored that kissing under the Coronado Bay Bridge brings fortune to those on the San Diego Bay. This tradition was born from navy soldiers’ long deployment away from loved ones and when they returned to San Diego, they would see the beautiful landmark bridge and know they would soon be in the arms of their loved ones. The best way to get a double dose of good fortune is aboard a Hornblower dining cruise as the ship sails under the bridge.
2. “Some Like it Hot’ — While this Marilyn Monroe classic was scripted for a Florida beach scene, it was the Hotel del Coronado that set the stage for the beach-front antics of Monroe and her co-stars Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon in this romantic comedy. In addition to decades of celebrity guests, this resort is an iconic and romantic San Diego beach hotel, offering several quiet corners for amour.
3. Not that Italians invented romance, but they sure perpetuated it! So, get inspired with a gondola ride along the enchanting canals of the Coronado Cays.
4. San Diego is renowned for its beaches…so, how do lovers choose from the 70 miles of coastline? I challenge you to go ahead and discover the many choices and let us know which is your favorite.
5. The cliffs at La Jolla Cove are riddled with sea caves of special fascination. Kayakers can paddle over from La Jolla Shores Beach, hikers can descend into a spooky tunnel in the basement of the old Curio Shop or snorkelers can make their way over from The Cove on a calm day to explore the huge grotto beneath The Clam.
6. Kate Sessions City Park has two separate park areas that cater to those seeking romance. The first is a gentle grassy slope which is ideal for picnicking, kite-flying, ball-playing and watching the sun set over the Pacific. The other is a section of natural habitat including scrub-covered open space, which is ideal for hiking or exploring nature.
7. When’s the last time you planted one on your date at a drive-in movie? Check out South Bay Drive In for the latest big screen options, then snuggle up in the back seat with your date.
8. Orfila Vineyards & Winery is an ultra-premium boutique winery nestled in the picturesque San Pasqual Valley, approximately 30 minutes from San Diego. After a taste of the award-winning Rhone-style wine lovers can enjoy an intimate embrace while overlooking views at the 70-acre estate.
9. Ellen Browning Scripps Park is the large, gorgeous expanse of land at the bottom of Coast Boulevard. Attractively adorned with tall palm trees and nestled right between downtown La Jolla and the edge of the ocean, this romantically-inspired park has been called the most photographed spot in San Diego.
10. And, for those who want to indulge in the most decadent encounter, charter the Ultimate Romantic Bay Cruise for Two aboard Hornblower Cruises & Events. Couples will be treated to a luxurious private yacht while basking in royal treatment during this two-hour Champagne cruise.